Monday, June 30, 2008

Where In the World?

Does anyone in the family recognize this photo? Chris, Scott, Mark? Could it have been taken when you went "down country" with Stan? It is obviously in a hotel room and someone had to take the photo so I suspect it was either on the trip to Uraquay with Chris ---or the trip to Peru with Scott and Mark. Look at the furniture. Look carefully at the portion of the bed. Not much to go on I know. It would have been while we lived in Panama based on Stan's casual clothing. There is no date on the photo. Perhaps there are other photos somewhere showing Stan in these same clothes that would be a clue. It wouldn't be when we were in the DR!!! No suit and tie. It is possible it could have been while we lived in Portugal and made our trip through Europe. Do the sideburns offer a clue? I have no idea. Every time I write about one of these photos I always want to add the comment: "Ohhhh how I miss him" and I realize that you all feel the same way.

Here is a PS dated July 17, 2008. It occured to me that maybe this was taken when Stan and I went on our jaunt around the European countries while living in Portugal. OR----maybe it was when we were in Panama and Stan and I went "down country" with the band to Mendosa and then took the bus all night over to where we thought Chris was....Villa Maria or something and he had been transfered to Cordoba, or so someone thought, so we went to Cordoba and phoned and took transportation to the different churches (which were not chapels but rented halls as I recall and of course no one was there. But we finally called a man who said his wife was a member but he wasn't and we found out there was a conference at the theater down town on Sunday morning so off we went. The place was crawling with missionaries in their white shirts and ties and we didn't know if Chris was among them or not. Then we met the Mission Pres. who said he had been transferred out closer to Mendosa where we came from. At the bus depot in Mendosa we saw an Elder writing in his journal and asked if he knew Chris. He didn't . He had only been out 3 or 4 months and was being transferred up to this very town where Chris was---but neither of us knew that. Anyway, the mission president had Chris call us the next day and we hoped he wouldn't be sad or melancholy but he was laughing hard to think we had taken the same long overnight bus trip he had taken and seen the little town where he had worked. He also met this Elder who we had met and Chris said those were my parents when the Elder told of meeting some people at the bus depot. So we left the shopping bag of goodies for the office missionaries to get to Chris. And we caught a plane to Buenos Aires on the other side of Argentina where Stan left me standing on a street corner with all our luggage while he ran to get ferry tickets. He was gone a long time and I didn't know any Spanish to get by and I didn't have any Argentine money and I just had to stand there and let people look at me and wonder what I was doing. Finally Stan came running up behind me and said "Are you okay"? I will be back and off he went before I could say a thing. He had to get all this paper work stamped before closing time at 5pm so we could get out of the country. We took the all night ferry over to Uraquay for a day or two. Bought a quart of Dulce de Leche to take home and had Dulce de Leche ice cream cones. And caught a flight back to Panama stopping in Paraquay. At the airport I went to use the Restroom and you needed to pay a lady there. I only had an American dime so I apologetically gave it to her. A young girl asked if I was American and where i was from. She spoke some English and wanted to speak English with me. Somehow she asked if I was LDS and said she had been to the church before. She wanted to write to me and we wrote back and forth a few times. I think she joined the church. Anyway, from there we came home on to Panama.

2 comments:

Shaun at Oak Den said...

We do miss him, Mom, and it is really good to see all these photos of him, and of you and he together. It keeps it all real. Thanks for doing this!

Gone Gal said...

Based on the clothes, it's the late 70's. I don't think he would have worn that outfit in Europe in the 80's. I hope not. There is tv commercial, hotels.com maybe, where the couple has just checked into their room and there is construction going on. The guy is asking the girl if she's seen or packed his flip flops, but each time he asks, the jackhammer drowns him out. He's wearing Dad's shirt! It's quite retro.