Saturday, June 21, 2008

Christmas Day 1960


Christmas, 1960 on Dublin Drive in San Antonio. The girls got some baby dolls that probably came with just a diaper. I had a lady across the street makes some clothes for the dolls. The Santa pillow was fabric with a Santa printed on it. We had this pillow for a number of years. I made the Christmas stockings out of red/white stripped flannel that I sewed a heel and toe on. However, it would be a number of years and moves before we had a mantle to hang stockings on.
A friend, Carolyn Bruggar took me to this place on the west side of San Antonio where you had to really nose around and look for the good deals. I remember getting Kate Greenway dresses for Kathy and Shauna were really inexpensive there. As I recall, the more things you bought from this man, the better the price he gave you. I recall seeing this small old trunk and also some old school desks. I didn't say anything to Carolyn or whoever else was along with us because I feared they would also want them. So I went back on another day and bought the trunk for $1.50 or less and I don't remember what the desks were. Maybe $5.00 for both of them. We didn't have a lot of spending money at the time so I know it had to be a good deal to be able to buy them. I lined the trunk with felt and painted it light green and antiqued the outside. I painted the school desks bright blue and put decals on them. The kids really loved playing school and now they had school desks . In the photo below are Shauna, her doll and Scott and in front are Chris and Kathy with her doll.

Below are Scott, doll, Shauna, Chris, doll and Kathy. Kathy would be 6 yrs old, Shauna, 5 1/2, Chris, 2 1/2, and Scott, 1 year.

No comments: